Workers' Compensation & UI
Our policy focus on workers' compensation and unemployment insurance in Maryland
Our focus: Workers' Compensation & Unemployment Insurance
We work to achieve a fair balance between the employer and employee in workers’ compensation claims. Similarly, we work toward policies to provide fair unemployment insurance benefits to workers without creating an undue burden on job creators.
Key Issues Include
- Changes to current workers compensation provisions relative to evidence and procedure
- Unemployment insurance increases
- Potential efforts to liberally amend the criteria to determining status as Independent Contractor vs. Employee as it relates to unemployment insurance eligibility
Related Policy Priorities & Anticipated Issues for 2024
- Solvency of the Maryland Unemployment Trust Fund: Every effort should be made by the state to ensure a healthy balance of the unemployment insurance trust fund. Any new funding proposals should consider the current economic landscape and cost implications for Maryland businesses.
- Unemployment System Reform: The business community supports an unemployment insurance system that balances the interests of both employees and employers and provides employers with clarity and transparency of the program’s operations and financial impact. Every effort should be made to evaluate potential changes against the programs of neighboring states so that Maryland businesses are not shouldered with excess burden compared to those in surrounding jurisdictions.
All 2024 Legislative Priorities & Critical Issues
Get an in-depth look at the pressing issues and legislative priorities we've identified for the 2024 Legislative Session.
Join our Workers' Compensation & Unemployment Insurance Policy Committee
Our Workers' Compensation & Unemployment Insurance policy committee covers all workers’ compensation and unemployment insurance issues, focusing on issues like benefit increases and contractor classifications. This committee meets during the Maryland General Assembly’s Legislative Session as needed. Meetings are held remotely via video conferencing.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Sign up for Action Alerts
Every day in Maryland, legislation is introduced that impacts businesses like yours. Without your voice, expertise and experience at the table, policies can be enacted that hurt your bottom line.
Take action now to influence Maryland's policy landscape. Sign up for the Maryland Chamber's legislative Action Alerts.
Stay up to date with our members-only Bill Tracker during session. Get concise bill summaries, anticipated positions, and more. Our 2024 Bill Tracker will be available soon after the start of the 2024 Legislative Session.