Energy & Envrionment
Our policy focus on energy and envrionmental issues for Maryland businesses
Our focus: Energy & Environment
Key Issues Include
We support community and business endeavors that sustain, enhance, protect and conserve Maryland’s natural resources for present and future generations. At the same time, we work to maintain the balance between economic need and environmental concern.
Key Issues Include
- Renewable energy sources
- Storm water and waste management
- Pollution control
- Land use and judicial review
Related Policy Priorities & Anticipated Issues for 2024
- Climate Change and Greenhouse Gas Emissions:
- We closely monitor initiatives regarding renewable energy portfolio standards, clean energy goals, and transportation sector requirements. We support the development of clean and renewable energy sources and transportation initiatives by urging the use of market-based mechanisms and incentives and pushing for reasonable implementation timetables. These key components limit the impact on the state’s economy and ensure the protection of the manufacturing and transportation sector.
- Transitioning to electrification, especially with aggressive timelines, leads to increased cost burdens to ratepayers and businesses and strains the grid’s ability to handle increased demand. With a budget deficit forecasted in the coming years, we urge fiscal responsibility and prioritization of cost-effective solutions and measures that do not place a large cost burden on the state.
- Finally, we support a diversified, equitable and inclusive energy portfolio, which enhances energy security, reduces dependence on a single source and ensures a reliable energy supply for all.
- Chemical Regulation: We support a science based regulatory structure that recognizes and considers the many unique properties and applications which exist within a single class of substances.
- Recycling: We support market and science-based solutions for recycling that benefit the environment while balancing the needs of manufacturers, businesses and individuals.
- Permitting Reform: We support the streamlining and modernization of permitting processes to identify and eliminate unnecessary obstacles and timelines. An efficient and effective permitting process reduces the cost of doing business and attracts investment.
All 2024 Legislative Priorities & Critical Issues
Get an in-depth look at the pressing issues and legislative priorities we've identified for the 2024 Legislative Session.
Join our Energy & Environment Policy Committees
Our Energy & Environment policy committee covers all energy and environmental issues. This committee has three subcommittees: Air Quality, Water Quality and Land Use & Natural Resources. This committee also participates in an annual meeting with the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) Secretary and senior staff, usually in late November or early December.
This committee meets remotely via video conferencing at 8:30 a.m. on the first Thursday of the month outside of legislative session, and every Thursday during session.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Sign up for Action Alerts
Every day in Maryland, legislation is introduced that impacts businesses like yours. Without your voice, expertise, and experience at the table, policies can be enacted that hurt your bottom line.
Take action now to influence Maryland's policy landscape. Sign up for the Maryland Chamber's legislative Action Alerts.
Stay up to date with our members-only Bill Tracker during session. Get concise bill summaries, anticipated positions, and more. Our 2024 Bill Tracker will be available soon after the start of the 2024 Legislative Session.
- Maryland Department of the Environment — Regulations, permits and compliance information
- Maryland Energy Administration — Energy programs, policy and and data
- PSC Maryland — Energy regulation, utilities and renewable energy
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Planning in Maryland — Information and reports regarding state emission reduction plans and targets
- Climate Change Program