Show Your Support for Veterans: Participate in Operation Green Light
Oct 25, 2023
From Nov. 6–12, 2023, the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs is encouraging businesses across the state to change one light bulb to green as a visible sign of support for veterans and their families.
As Veteran’s Day approaches, Maryland businesses have an opportunity to honor veterans and their families by participating in an initiative called Operation Green Light.
From Nov. 6-12, 2023, the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs is encouraging businesses across the state to change one light bulb to green as a visible sign of support for veterans and their families.
With over 360,000 veterans calling Maryland home, our state has the 19th largest veteran population in the U.S. Veterans contribute their leadership, training, and skills to strengthen Maryland's workforce and communities, and their perspectives, experiences and commitment to our state and country are invaluable.
While many veterans transition back to civilian life successfully, far too many struggle with challenges like unemployment, homelessness, substance abuse, post-traumatic stress, and lack of community. Veteran suicide rates have skyrocketed, with over 30,000 lives lost since 2001.
By illuminating buildings and storefronts in green and sharing information about resources, Maryland businesses and workers can help increase awareness about veterans' issues and show that veterans are seen, appreciated and supported in our communities.
How Businesses Can Participate
- Change one exterior light bulb to green the week of Nov. 6-12
- Share information on social media about Operation Green Light using #OperationGreenLight and #OperationGreenLightMD
- Highlight state and federal veteran resources on your website
- Encourage employees to take free military culture training courses and complete free online training through the Governor's Challenge Psych Armor Training Portal on military culture, women veterans, wounded warriors, and more
Report your participation by completing this form
How Individuals Can Participate
- Swap one porch light for a green bulb the week of Nov. 6-12
- Learn about resources for veterans and share them with others
- Complete free online training through the Governor's Challenge Psych Armor Training Portal on military culture, women veterans, wounded warriors and more
Help Spread the Word
Visit the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs website for details on participating buildings, events and an upcoming social media toolkit.
By joining Operation Green Light, we can spread awareness about veteran issues year-round. Let's honor those who have served by giving them the support and resources they've earned.